Thursday, February 22, 2024

The Daily Scroll - The Quietness of Alone

Ken was a song writer just arriving in Nashville Tennessee to make his mark in Christian music. He walked the sidewalks of music row during the day and slept in his old van near Centennial park at night. He tried to make his pitches at Benson, Word Music, Capitol music and every company in between. Most wouldn’t even give him a chance. “Please leave your demo with me and I’ll see it gets into the right hands.” Said the receptionist. He heard those words so many times over the next several weeks until he was filled with dread as he entered that last door. 

Out of money, out of time, and out of hope, Ken faced the facts and gave up. He had failed. And worse, he was all alone. Sitting on the back bumper of his van, he looked to the star filled sky and began to pray. But there were no words. The night was silent except for the distant traffic on the Interstate. His thoughts turned to the quietness of being alone. The silence of his soul was deafening. He opened his mouth but this time his prayer had words. 

“Lord Jesus, I’ve asked you for help before, and you’ve always come through for me time and time again. Lord, after I gave up today I sank lower than ever, but now I see. My defeat, my loneliness has not beaten me. No more than yours beat you. No, now I understand a little better what you went through. As I sit here quiet and alone, I feel closer to you than I have ever felt before. In this stillness I’ve found you, in the fellowship of your loneliness.” 

Ken reached for his guitar and began to strum. And penned the words which eventually got recorded. “Oh what loneliness, Jesus had……”

The Bible records the following, “But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.” (Luke5:16)

Also, “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.“ (Isaiah 41:10)




No comments: