Sunday, August 3, 2008

An Attic Full of Smiles

Many people have a misconception about God the Father. They judge Him based on their earthly father. If they had a good father, then they look on their heavenly Father as good. If a person’s earthly father was mean, cruel, or absent, then they might expect the same from their heavenly Father. What we all need to realize is that our heavenly Father is perfect in every way.

He showed His goodness to the children of Israel throughout the Bible. His word says, “I will abundantly bless her provision. I will satisfy her poor with bread” (Psalm 132:15 KJV).

When Father speaks to His children, He does it with loving kindness, not in harsh, aggravated tones. He is not a King who sits on a throne and tosses out crumbs to His children as if they were beggars. No, He is our loving Heavenly Father who desires to help and bless us, even when we don’t ask.

I remember how my wife and I would go to Toys R Us and buy toys, dolls, and things for our daughter when she was growing up. We loved doing it so much that we rarely waited for her to ask us for anything. We bought the things we knew she would like and surprised her. This would always bring a happy smile to her face, and as her joy was our joy, happy smiles adorned our faces as well. Today, we have an attic full of smiles, found memories that remain even today.

Not long ago I was the recipient of a surprise gift from my heavenly Father. I was short an ingredient that I needed for a product I was making. Needing two gallons of this ingredient, I was short ¾ gallon. On the morning I needed it, I awoke to the voice of the Lord speaking to me in the Spirit. He said, “Take the chemical you have and divide it equally into two buckets.”

Trying to make sure I wasn’t dreaming, I shook myself and said, “Lord, I don’t want to short change my product. I’ve never done that before.”

He said, “Take two buckets and divide the chemical equally. Make your two tanks. I’ll take care of it.”

I said, “OK Lord. I’ll do it.” What could I say? It was the Lord.

So I went in and carefully divided the ingredient equally into two buckets, poured one into the tank with my other ingredients, and set the other bucket aside. Two days later, I went back to make the second tank, and when reaching for the bucket that was set aside, I noticed something different about it. It had a full gallon!

There was no doubt that God had increased that partial gallon to a full gallon in both buckets. It was a miracle! He did it without me asking, just to bless me and see the smile on my face. I know my reaction brought a smile to His face also. We rejoiced together.

I remember from the Bible how the prophet Elijah turned an empty barrel of meal into a bottomless barrel of meal for a widow and her son, until a drought was over (I Kings 17:14). And let’s not forget Lord Jesus turning the water in pots, into fine wine (John 2:7).

This same God blesses us every day in ways we don’t expect, just to see the smile on our face. And like a good Father, it puts a smile on His face as well. I believe when our Father contemplates His memories of our reactions to His blessings, He also finds an attic full of smiles.

“Your Father knows exactly what you need even before you ask him!” (Matthew 6:8)

No comments: