Wednesday, May 17, 2023

The Daily Scroll - Tough Love

Jack was a handful of a teenager to raise, but his father, Reverend Abernathy, did his best. A widower of more than a decade, being a single dad had its challenges. But lately, life became almost unbearable. Jack took up with friends and together found themselves in continuous trouble. Drinking, drugs, out all night became the norm until his dad had enough. He sent Jack to a military school hoping that they would instill the discipline to make him change his ways.

Jack absolutely hated his formal life of discipline and being controlled. After the first semester, he wrote his father and apologized. He begged to return home promising to follow the rules, forsaking bad habits and the friends he had followed. His dad wrote him back and gave him the reply that he was not looking for. 

He wrote, “Son, I’m sorry that I had to take the action that I deemed necessary, but it was for your own good that I acted. I know how this must have hurt but you have come through it. I’m glad you have changed your ways and I hope that your repentance holds true. You can’t come home now, but at the end of the next semester, when it will not adversely affect your grades, I wish for you to come home. We’ll begin a new start for a bright future”

The Apostle Paul under similar circumstances wrote to the church in Corinth: “I am not sorry that I sent that severe letter to you, though I was sorry at first, for I know it was painful to you for a little while. Now I am glad I sent it, not because it hurt you, but because the pain caused you to repent and change your ways.” (2 Corinthians 7:8-9)

When love is hard, love is proven. Do what you have to do to save them from themselves, in love.




No comments: