Thursday, October 19, 2023

The Daily Scroll - Shut It!

 Did you ever talk back to your mamma? How’d that work out for you? In my experience, not too well. I learned at an early age that when it comes to mouthing off, you’re better off to just shut it. I remember a time when I had a meeting at church with some volunteers and afterwards one lady went to the Pastor and told him that I had said something derogatory about him which was a total lie. 

The Pastor knew better and came to me and told me what she said. I was flabbergasted. I had not said anything even remotely like that. So I went to the dear sister and ask her why she told the pastor I had said such a thing. She said, “ We’ll, that’s what I heard.” I reconfirmed that I not only had not said that, but I don’t even believe that. She repeated, “Well that’s what I heard.” Why this happened I don’t know, even to this day. 

But I learned that some people look for problems, and excuses to cause problems. I could share other examples, but suffice it to say, people will be people, even in the house of God. This is why the Apostle Peter wrote to warn us to be careful to please God by what we DONT say. In other words, when it comes to a wandering, troublemaking mouth…shut it. For our sakes and the peace of God.

The Bible says, “If you want to enjoy life and see many happy days, keep your tongue from speaking evil and your lips from telling lies. Turn away from evil and do good. Search for peace, and work to maintain it. The eyes of the LORD watch over those who do right, and his ears are open to their prayers. But the LORD turns his face against those who do evil.” (I Peter 3:10-12)



No comments: