Friday, August 25, 2023

The Daily Scroll - Full of Joy

One hundred thirty years ago in the old west in America, and old man pulled his buckboard to a dusty stop outside the community church. He carefully stepped down and tied the reins to a post, patting his horse as he walked back to his seat. He carefully lifted an old weather worn Bible from the seat, carefully tucked it under his arm and headed inside. 

The Padre met him at the door and greeted him, “Lucas, he said, good to see you. Did the sun come up on your ranch today.” And chuckled. “Yes sir. Said Lucas. Like I’ve told you before, when the sun comes up on my ranch I know it’s going to be a happy day. A small group gathered to listen.

“How do you know it’ll be happy?” Asked the Padre. Listen here, said Lucas, I was a cowboy back in the day and I faced rustlers, floods, tornados, fire, and freezing icy snow. I took a wife, lost a son, became a widower, and been alone. Not to mention broken bones, disease, and weakness in my body. But the day I walked in that door, and bent my knees to God, the pain of it all disappeared. For Jesus came in to this old cowboy, and with Him came joy, peace, hope, and love like I’ve never known. So every day that sun comes up, is a day to rejoice!

“Then he opened up his ragged, well read Bible, and showed the Padre the following: “Always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again—rejoice! Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do. Remember, the Lord is coming soon. Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4:4-7)







No comments: