Monday, January 22, 2024

The Daily Scroll - A Winding Road

 Do you ever feel like your life seems to be going in circles? You might make progress in one area while having setbacks in another? Life can certainly be like that sometimes. Sara found out that there are times when you just have to stop where you are, and look around and center yourself. Her brother was deployed to the Middle East. She hadn’t heard from him in a while which caused concern. Her brother Jack was a widower with three kids. A boy and two girls all under the age of ten. Aunt Sara was caring for them while he was away.

She had her own eight year old son Bobby to care for as well. Her husband helped when he could but he was at work most of the time tending their farm. Her friends from church were always a comfort to her, especially on this day. She received a notice the Jack has been wounded in battle and was evacuated to a hospital in Germany. She was crushed. “Is he going to be alright? How do I tell the children? What if… 

She couldn’t finish the sentence, even in her mind. “No, she said out loud, he’s going to be fine. He’s coming home to us. And eight months later he did. In a wheelchair. A wounded veteran. She made a special room for him and the children. Cozy, but big enough for the little family. Eventually Jack was able to walk again with a cane, however he was permanently disabled. 

Late at night after everyone was asleep, Sara, with a cup of coffee, rested in her easy chair in the den. Her Bible lay open in her lap as she prayed, “Lord. Where am I? I don’t recognize my life. I thank you so much for your provision, but I don’t recognize my life. I know that you are in charge but I don’t see a roadmap where we’re going.” 

The Lord spoke to Sara’s heart, “Child, isn’t it fair to say that even when you think you know where you’re going, you really don’t. Life is full of twists and turns, roadblocks and detours. But I promise that I, who cannot lie, tell you here and now that I have you in the palm of my hand. My arm is around you and I go where you go. Your steps are ordered by me. Unseen angels under my authority and control, guide you through your circumstances . So relax and enjoy the only security anyone can rely on. Me, your Father.”

With that Sara dozed off to sleep until her husband came down and found her. He gently raised her up and guided her up to bed. She smiled at him in perfect peace.


No comments: