Friday, September 1, 2023

The Daily Scroll - Last Month

 When thinking about last month which has now passed, I’m reminded of hurricanes, floods, tornadoes, volcanic eruptions, massive fires, earthquakes, earthquakes during a hurricane, oppressive heat, power outages, disease, various injuries, final passing of friends and loved ones, problem teenagers and children, infidelities, various marriage difficulties, joblessness, crime, depression, poverty, school shootings, mass shootings, and war around the world. The list goes on and on. That was last month. And we pray for all who were affected.

When thinking about these things, one could become worried and depressed, but that is not my intention in sharing my reflections. As I think and write about these things, I am inspired by hope. The hope I see in the eyes of the survivors of last month. The joy I see when a grandmother digs through the rubble to find her wedding pictures. The glory of being reunited with loved ones who could have been lost. The determination of first responders risking their safety to search for others in need. For volunteers like many of you who give of their resources and time to bless those in need. Hope.

For the millions of people who, like myself, were not directly affected by any of these events, let us give thanks to our Father God, and Lord Jesus, for keeping us, and our lives, intact. It’s not that we are luckier or more favored than those affected by tragedy, we were just not in their place. So like me, take a sigh of relief, help those less fortunate, and thank God that we made it through last month. For after all, today is the first day of the next month.




No comments: